Landing a job after you graduate is as easy as 1, 2 … 7! Follow these steps to enhance your chance of success.
#1 Visit your uni careers service
Your university careers services staff can help you with useful advice and resources, job applications and finding a position that fits you.
#2 Do your research
Do some background research on the industry and employers and companies you’re considering for future employment. It will give you an edge when you apply.
Talk to friends, family and even industry-related professional associations. You never know who might be able to give you a foot in the door. Go to careers fairs and talk to the representatives from the companies who attend. That’s why they’re there – they’re interested in you!
#4 Have your application reviewed
A second set of eyes is invaluable! Have your résumé and cover letter checked by your careers service staff, a lecturer, or by a contact in the industry. They can tell you if it’s appropriate for the position you want.
#5 Market yourself properly
First impressions count, so be professional at all times! Make sure you:
- Have a professional email address
- Use a polite phone manner when speaking with potential employers
- Set up voicemail on your phone.
#6 Got an interview? Be prepared!
- Check directions and transport beforehand, and give yourself plenty of time to get there.
- Re-read your résumé so the details are fresh in your mind.
- Prepare answers to some practice interview questions− there are loads of examples on the web.
- Dress for the part. It is always safer to be smartly dressed than too casual.
- Be confident and honest in talking about yourself and your skills.
- It’s important for people to get a sense of your personality and sense of humour, so don’t be afraid to be yourself.
#7 Don’t give up!
Make a plan and stay positive! There are lots of opportunities out there, so keep looking!